Herd’s Sustainability Values
- We promote a re-connection to and respect for nature through our production practices and often through the content of our work.
- We emphasize the importance of community-specific and local theatre to discourage unnecessary travel for artistic fulfillment.
- We personally strive to live low-waste, plant-based lifestyles and model these practices on stage to normalize them for audiences.
- We replace wasteful objects of status with sustainable alternatives.
- We recognize that sustainability is a necessity for human survival and a tool to encourage social equity.
Herd’s Sustainability Practices
- We use electronic scripts whenever possible and print necessary copies on recycled paper.
- We encourage virtual design meetings to cut down on travel emissions.
- We do not waste paper through the printing of promotional materials, playbills, or tickets.
- We do not sell merchandize or concessions with single use or individual packaging.
- We use exclusively LED lighting and limit energy expenditure whenever possible.
- We never use hydraulics, aerosols, Styrofoam, or other notoriously damaging or wasteful production techniques.
- We use only cruelty-free makeup and hair products.
- We exclusively rent or purchase second-use props and costumes.
- We send all costumes that cannot be reused to textile recycling plants to be repurposed.
- We construct our scenery from scrap, recycled, or reused materials.
- We use only vegan consumables and avoid individual packaging.
Want to learn more about how to make your work more sustainable? Check out these resources:
Environmental Working Group